Friday, August 12, 2011

Can a car getting hit while parked affect the transfer case?

I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy 4dr 4x4 with a 4.3L V6 Vortec. Several weeks ago, my car was hit pretty hard while it was parked. I was not in the vehicle. The damage seemed fairly minor. The usual. Messed up the front end a little bit, but still drivable. Well about a week and a half after I was hit, I found that my 4 wheel drive was no longer working. I used the 4WD a couple weeks before getting hit and it worked fine, so I'm just wondering if being hit while in park could have affected it at all. I can hear it clicking in, or at least trying to, when I switch it, so it doesn't seem like the actuator is sticking or out. And when I put it in 4WD Low, it's sluggish like it should be through the first gear, but normal after that. And in either hi or low 4WD, when I brake traction on dirt roads, the rear tire is the only one spinning. Checked the fuses already, and the transfer case was rebuilt only a few years ago. Anyone have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment